Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dating with Kids...a plea for advice

OMG this is the second time I've tried it, and it's a huge PIA. At least DBF is being supportive and understanding with all the chaos and crap the kids are pulling. No matter what my kids think, I deserve a chance at happiness and I am allowed to have a life that does not alwyas center around them. In other words my weekend with DBF was interrupted by kids and their needs and issues constantly.

I've talked to XH about all this and he agrees that what the kids have pulled this weekend is not acceptable behavior and he is supporting me and my right to a life. He's going to talk to the kids later about the attitudes and actions this weekend, and hopefully help to point out how selfishly they've been acting. Yes, I try to manage one weekend evening with DBF for some just us time, and we tried to shuffle the schedule this weekend, and it didn't work. So anytime I had alone with him, was totally kid interrupted and filled with dramatics out of kids.

I'm not going into details about which kid did what, because that's not what this is about today. But suffice it to say it started with one on THursday and hasn't let up with the other one yet. How my mom ever managed to date my step-dad and get to the point of marrying him and managing to stay married with 6 of us between 10 and 18, is completely beyond me. But then again, we all had more respect for our parents than kids today have for any adult.

So if anyone has any suggestions or advice, on how to maange this, I'd really and truly appreciate it.
TIA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

{{{Margaret}}} - I can't access the comments at work, so I sent you an e-mail earlier today; I won't rehash it here, but I wanted you to know that I was thinking of you, and hope that you are able to come up with a workable solution!